Friday, April 9, 2010

Back to Teaching

I am back teaching now after a week and half break.  The break was much needed and appreciated.   Since this is my job which is most in the "real" world, saying that this is the hardest thing I have ever done is not that impressive.  Still, this is the hardest thing I have ever done.

Much of the difficulty comes from having to teach science in English.  I sometimes wonder whether it would be noticeably easier to teach just English, but who knows.

The curriculum which the MEP wants me to teach is ambitious and not as clear as I wish. The curriculum is not bad, I just wish there was some blueprint on how to teach science as a foreign language.  I am especially struggling with the younger grades. I need to do a better job of having diagrams and games to play to illustrate the concepts.  I generally do bring some diagrams, but I need to do more of this.

I have made an effort today at being more proactive in getting the lesson plans the homeroom teachers will be using to teach science in Spanish.  This should make it easier to teach, since I will be teaching exactly what the students have learned in Spanish, not simply the same general topic as I have been.

Well, I have the weekend to plan and next week is a new week to continue to improve my teaching.  Thanks to everyone who wished me happy birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment