Sunday, May 2, 2010

May

So I've made it to May.  I am now basically four months into this experience here in Costa Rica.  I still am not totally sure how to teach my students, but I feel like I am learning from some of my earlier mistakes and hopefully will be able to improve upon previous efforts.

The time comsuming activity which I discovered in the past week has been audiobooks.  I bought the newest Dresden Files audiobook from Itunes and spent the last few days listening to the entire book.  While the book was excellent and the reader very good, it took so much time.  The book was 15 hours long, which is an incredibly long time to be listening to one book.  Especially since the Dresden Files books are not particularly long in and of themselves.  I finished it late last night and it was definitely worth it.

Not much else for me to talk about.   Teaching is still the same and there is not much new to say about that.  Tests are coming up for 1st-3rd grade which will be a test for me also, since I am struggling with trying to figure out how to write a test in English for such young grades.

The school has ideas about what it wants to be, but is not always able to live up to those ideals.  This causes stress because the curriculum which I am supposed to teach and the English levels of my students often do not match.  Well, I will simply write the most accurate test I can to their levels and hope they can do well enough on it.  I really don't want to fail a majority of my 2nd or 3rd grade students.

Thats my challenge for the next couple of weeks here.  The weather is perfect today, not too hot nor too rainy and cold.  I hope it stays this way, since I would like to run later this afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya! It´s May, the first trimester felt like some whirlwind, fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pant experiment (and I did a lot of planning) and now maybe I might have a vague idea of what I´m doing. Emphasis on the might and vague. Haha... guess we just gotta hang in there and learn as much as we teach!

    ReplyDelete